VACANCY - Malaria Technical Advisor
|Date Posted||28-06-18||No. of views||28|
|Job type||Full-time||Experience in Years||7|
|Salary type||Monthly||Education||Masters Degree|
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families. Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care. Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Impact Malaria is US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), global service delivery project to reduce malaria mortality and morbidity, and efficiently and effectively move countries forward along the malaria elimination spectrum. The project, set to be implemented in Ghana, will contribute to the country’s National Malaria Control Strategic Plan 2014-2020 and beyond. We are currently seeking an experienced, dynamic and innovation-driven Malaria Technical Advisor. This Technical Advisor will work within a team responsible for ensuring technical rigor on the implementation of malaria service delivery activities in Ghana.
The project will operate over a five year period.
- Support the Impact Malaria Chief of Party (COP) in providing strategic technical direction within the project in Ghana by coordinating the development of the technical aspects of program implementation approaches and ensuring appropriate consultations with stakeholders at all levels
- In collaboration with the project technical team, develop project work plan and ensure performance indicators and targets are met, as well as timely completion of activities against work plan deadlines
- Provide general technical support to the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) in prevention of malaria in pregnancy, malaria case management, drug-based interventions, including developing approaches and tools, participating in technical working groups, and providing technical leadership
- Collaborate with the NMCP and Ghana Health Service (GHS) staff to strengthen quality improvement and supervision systems for malaria interventions
- Act as project resource point for relevant technical issues in the project intervention areas and ensure that activities are implemented according to technical guidance from PMI and global best practices
- Coordinate project officers working in regions supported by Impact Malaria to plan for, provide technical input in and monitor activity implementation
- Proactively problem solve technical challenges which may arise during program implementation
- Represent Impact Malaria in relevant workshops or conferences as agreed with the project COP
- Work with Jhpiego’s Country Director and Impact Malaria’s COP to ensure that technical support needs of the project are identified and the project draws upon the expertise of Impact Malaria headquarters technical backstops
- Ensure that project monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data and lessons are collated, analyzed, interpreted and used to inform programmatic decisions
- Provide regular updates to the COP and project team on technical implementation of activities
- Document project achievements and contribute to the development of quarterly/annual programmatic reports and weekly progress updates for the project
Required Skills or Experience
- A health specialty degree and/or Master’s in Public Health or other relevant graduate degree
- At least 7 years’ experience implementing malaria programs and/or community malaria programs
- Experience training health workers on clinical aspects related to malaria case management and malaria in pregnancy
- Experience building capacity at individual and organizational levels
- Skill in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery programs, training, performance and quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience with a mix of practical technical skills in malaria necessary for strengthening malaria service delivery at district, facility and community-level
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Ghana’s healthcare system and knowledge of the Ghana malaria partnership landscape
- The ability to coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and at different levels of the health system, including private partners, donors, MoH, GHS, NMCP and other government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple projects activities, short deadlines, competing deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Demonstrable analytical skills and experiences to identify and evaluate best practices and state-of-the-art approaches to be utilized by the project
- Fluency in English and Twi and strong verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Experience working with USAID
- Ability to travel within country
How To Apply
- Qualified persons are required to send cover letter, resume, references, and salary history to: [email protected] .
- Deadline for the submission of applications: July 6, 2018. Please note that given the likely high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.