Stay Safe on Donkomi.com.gh
We are here to offer our cherished customers a free, fast, and easy way to buy, sell and find opportunities online in Ghana. Although most people who use Donkomi obey the rules religiously, some just break them and create problems for others. We cannot monitor everybody all the time, so we inform our users and customers on such issues by sharing as much advice with them as we can to keep them safe.
General Safety Advice
- Keep things local - Try and meet the seller in person, examine the item to ensure you are happy with it before you make payment.
- Exchange or swap the item and payment at the same time - As a buyer, don't make any payments in advance before receiving an item. As a seller, don't send an item before receiving payment.
- Our biggest piece of advice to buyers and sellers is - Use common sense and avoid offers or anything that appears too good to be true, such as unrealistically low prices and promises of quick cash. It probably is. That is why we encourage customers to meet buyers or sellers in a public place in daylight – and to take a friend along with them. If anything bad or suspicious happens, they should get in touch with us straight away.
- Never give out your financial information - This comprises; your bank account details, your credit card (Visa card) or PayPal information, as well as other information that could be misused.
- Ask for documentation - especially when buying a car, a house, a piece of land, or buying electronics. Ask for receipts, certificates or log books.
Safety Tips on how to Spot a Scammer or Fraudster
- Pay extra attention by following these tips:
- Watch out for sellers or buyers who has stores with foreign names.
- Avoid sellers or buyers with a foreign phone number or such people who does not seem to be living locally in the country.
- Avoid making contacts with sellers whose advert description contains Skype details, or have prices in foreign currency ($ or £ for example)
- Avoid requests to use services such as Western Union or MoneyGram money transfers. These money transfer services are not meant for transactions between strangers as many scams are run through them.
If someone breaks our rules and a customer reports them to us, we can delete their advert and block them. If it’s a very serious issue, we encourage customers to call or report it to the police. We work closely with the police to protect customers – when there’s a problem.
Our Content team manually validates each advert to ensure that you buy & sell safely on Donkomi. If you suspect an advert is a scam, please contact us via the "Report this ad" button. Also, If you suspect a buyer could be a scammer, kindly contact us immediately via the email address [email protected]komi.com.gh or via the "Contact us" form.